8-Week Mindfulness (MBCT) Course
Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) is a highly acclaimed, evidenced-based skills training program, combining the ancient wisdom of mindfulness and cognitive psychology. Developed by the University of Oxford Centre for Mindfulness.
Is This Course Right for Me?
This course is orientated towards improving overall health and well-being for adult members of the public.
- For anyone with an interest in the power of mindfulness for freeing us from the grip of negative mind states and for gaining awareness into the patterns of your own mind.
- How mindfulness and meditation can be used within daily life to untangle the knots and manage stress, anxiety, depression with greater balance.
- For anyone wishing to thrive in health, fitness, hobbies, work and family life.
- Letting go of perfectionism and self-criticism.
- To find greater contentment, self-compassion & appreciation.
No previous experience of mindfulness or meditation is required, the course is aimed at beginners to offer a clear and enlightening pathway to mindfulness. For those with experience, this course provides a fantastic refresher and an opportunity to deepen practice.
How is the Course Run?
We meet weekly over a series of 8 sessions with between 6 – 15 people within the group. It is a complete course and not designed as a drop in.
We meet at the same venue and the duration of each session is 1hour 45 minutes. Online courses are available.
The course is experiential, in other words, learning from your own experience of what you are aware of and where your attention is drawn to during your own practice. We also engage in powerful CBT interactive group exercises.
Important: This course is not a form of group counselling or therapy, either formal or informal. It will not, therefore, be suitable for anyone suffering from severe clinical depression or other severe clinical mental health problems. Other therapy avenues would be more suited and helpful.
Themes of the 8 week Course:
- Session 1 – Awareness Vs Automatic Pilot
- Session 2 – Living in Our Heads
- Session 3 – Gathering the Scattered Mind
- Session 4 – Recognizing Aversion
- Session 5 – Allowing Things to Be as They Are
- Session 6 – Thoughts Are Not Facts
- Session 7 – “How Can I Best Take Care of Myself?”
- Session 8 – Maintaining Mindfulness – What Now?
- Awareness of the habitual patterns of your mind
- Ability to respond skilfully to situations rather than react
- Taking a daily breathing space
- Being more present in your daily life
- Changing your relationship to stress, thoughts and moods
- Shifting from self-criticism to self- kindness
- Gain deeper appreciation and gratitude
- Resilience and inner strength
- Embrace imperfection and enhance your relationships
What Does it Involve?
A significant level of commitment is required as most learning will take place in the home practice. You will be invited to develop a daily mindfulness meditation practice for 30-40 minutes per day and fulfil other brief exercises during the week to support your learning. Mindfulness is a practice, you get out what you put in. To change your life over the 8 weeks creating time to cultivate and build your practice into your daily life is crucial for your life-changing journey.
Guided meditations are provided for your home practice which can be downloaded and played on your smartphone or stored on your laptop. If you do not have access to a laptop or smartphone, a cd will be provided for you. You will also have access to the Oxford Mindfulness Centre Practices. Handouts will be emailed to you the day before each session with worksheets for the coming week and summaries of the themes.
What to Wear and Bring?
Wear comfortable relaxed clothing, you may also wish to bring a blanket and thick socks.
Chairs will be provided, but if you wish to bring a cushion or meditation stool please feel free.
If you have a yoga mat, please bring this with you (you will be advised on which sessions you will need to bring it).
Water will be provided.
What is the Cost?
The course costs £220. This includes all the insightful course materials, guided mediations to keep for life and continuous teacher support.